Friday, February 29, 2008

leap day

This post is about nature...about things that make us stop and take pause...and about things that just seem to have no logical explanation at all...

My lovely 'Vi' was a gift from my friend Sally about six or seven years ago. Sally is a whiz with African Violets, and has never met one that she couldn't revive or resurrect. In fact...twice in my early years with Vi, I returned Vi to Sally's care for miracle work. The time has come again.

Those of you who know me well know that I don't have the greenest thumb on the block. I've turned often to my mom for assistance with problem plants. The issue at hand is one that I have never experienced before!

Last night, I was working my way through my evening routine...washing my face, brushing my teeth, etc....when I looked over at Vi, sitting on the ledge near the bathroom sink where she has been (very happily) for the last four years or so. I saw a leaf that looked as though it needed pruning...so I ever-so-gently plucked it.

Within in thirty minutes...Vi took on the appearance that you see above. Her corm appears healthy, and she is not at all wobbly - but she has taken the spirit of Leap Year a bit too seriously! If you are a gardener...I'm open to your advice!

In the meanwhile...please send some positive thoughts to Vi and me... I'm hoping that she can be saved, and I'll be placing a call to Sally today!

4 comments:

  1. oh my...that doesn't look good!

    And does she need a bigger pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about African Violets except that my mother never had luck with them so I've never attempted. Good luck to you and Vi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't that just beat everything. I don't have a clue, but will be interested to hear what your expert friend has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked w/ Sally yesterday, and she did not have any perfect answers other than to repot her and see what happens. Sooooooo...today, I will get a larger pot for Vi, and some african violet potting soil and repot her either today or tomorrow. She's still in perfect condition 36 hours into this adventure...except that she's 90 degrees sideways!

    ReplyDelete