I'm not quite sure why this strikes my funny bone each month, but it does...and its just one of those things that you won't see anywhere but in an academic medical center...
.
At the end of the day, I walk through the life sciences building on my way to the parking structure. It seems that on the second Thursday of each month (yesterday), the Liver Club convenes for a seminar. Each month, there are signs posted on all of the doors to this building that read:
Personally, I can't imagine sitting around conversing about livers... but I'm sure glad that there are people in the world who get jazzed by that sort of discussion.
.
Without the liver there is no life! In a nutshell, it produces and maintains many crucial nutrients, detoxifies drugs, and filters bacteria. I'm really glad that mine is in good working order...and should I ever have problems, I'll head straight for the nearest academic medical center...where I know that people are sitting around discussing livers!
This little poem by Pablo Neruda pretty much sums it up:
Ode to the Liver
There, inside, you filter and apportion
you separate and divide,
you multiply and lubricate
you raise and gather
the threads and the grams of life...
from you I hope for justice:
I love life: Do not betray me! Work on!
Do not arrest my song.

No comments:
Post a Comment