This weekend, I plan to nest. Yes, Jenn... HOME is where I am nourished, where I rest, where I pray and where I love. Funny...my mom said basically the same thing in a paraphrased sort of way when I talked with her on the telephone this evening.
Ed is in Omaha this weekend, and as usual, I've got a list up to my elbow of things I want to accomplish while he is away. BUT...nearly all of the things on my list will be done at HOME (one of which is a Saturday nap w/ Snick)! I'm also planning to do typical weekend stuff and will do some baking, as well.
Cookies, for starters...a small penance for a neighbor who has cleared the walks and drive of more than a few snows this winter, and another friend who kept me in basil all last summer. I'm trying a recipe for Pepparkakor...the signature cookie at Big Cedar (see 20-Sep post). When we were there with Paul and Marilee last fall, I purchased a nifty cedar tree shaped cookie cutter just to get the recipe!
I'm also trying a recipe that I've not made before... melktert - a South African custard dessert in a sweet pastry crust. We have a friend coming for dinner next week who left SA about twenty years ago, or so. He mentioned once-upon-a-time that this was something he really enjoyed...so I'm going to see if I can re-create it for him. This is just a trial run so that I can come up with Plan B if the alpha test is less than stellar. I'll let you know how it goes...
The rest of the weekend will be spent accomplishing odds and ends...typical weekend stuff...a stop by the bank, the grocery store, laundry, et cetera. As for tonight, however... I'm already in my jammies, and actually had them laid out before I even left home for work this morning!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone...
Friday, February 8, 2008
nesting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Those Big Cedar cookies rock! Enjoy every last tasty bite.
ReplyDeleteI also have a few weekend plans that include spending a lot of time at home. It's much needed because next weekend I'll be traveling for work and will be in San Diego. It's tough. I'll probably need a margarita at Old Town's Friday Fiesta to get over it.
Pepparkakor (if it's the same one I know) is a Scandinavian ginger cookie. They are delish. Would you be willing to share the recipe??
ReplyDeleteHave a fun and peaceful weekend "nesting".
Kathy: oooh San Diego in February...must be ROUGH! Please have a margarita in my honor. : )
ReplyDeleteCindy: yep, that's the one...with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. I made the dough early this morning so that it could chill for awhile. I'm about to start baking. I'll post a picture of my efforts along with the recipe later. : )
Happy Saturday!
Yummy, Swedish Pepparkakor (peberkager in Danish). We bake them every Christmas. Can’t wait to see them...
ReplyDeleteThe Nutella Cupcakes on my blog is an American recipe from the book ‘Cupcakes Galore’ by Gail Wagman. The cakes are not called Nutella Cupcakes in the book, I think they are called chocolate and hazelnut cakes, but I’m not sure. I’m unable to write you the recipe today, my Internet browser is not working properly.
Have a nice weekend..
Mette :)
Mette: I sort of gather from your blog that you are known for your cupcakes! I'll bet you are the favorite mom of all of your daughters' friends!
ReplyDelete