Today was a great day...I got many of things on my list done...not all...but many. One of the most important things that I missed was a nap...but there is always tomorrow for a nap.
June and I connected at about 3:30 and went for a nice walk in Shawnee Mission Park. We took full advantage of this unseasonably warm February day! We started at the Midland Drive trailhead and walked to the south up the hills for about 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) to a lovely stopping point with a bench overlooking a small canyon. We sat for awhile to chat, and then headed back for dinner.
The baking went VERY well...to the right is the melktert that I made. I was quite pleasantly
surprised with how this turned out. It is lightly sweet, and very creamy, and seems more like a creme brulee than a custard. Even June liked it...and I fully expected her to turn her nose up at it! I will definitely make this melktert recipe again. Yummy!
The Pepparkakor turned out well, too. There is something indescribably earthy and yummy about the molasses and the spices. The house smelled sooooooooo good as the cookies were baking!!! The recipe I used is as below...
Pepparkakor
June and I connected at about 3:30 and went for a nice walk in Shawnee Mission Park. We took full advantage of this unseasonably warm February day! We started at the Midland Drive trailhead and walked to the south up the hills for about 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) to a lovely stopping point with a bench overlooking a small canyon. We sat for awhile to chat, and then headed back for dinner.
The baking went VERY well...to the right is the melktert that I made. I was quite pleasantly
The Pepparkakor turned out well, too. There is something indescribably earthy and yummy about the molasses and the spices. The house smelled sooooooooo good as the cookies were baking!!! The recipe I used is as below...
Pepparkakor
2/3 C. molasses
2 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp cardamom, ground
1/2 tsp cloves, ground
12 T. butter, cut up
2 eggs
5 C. flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
> Combine brown sugar, molasses and spices in saucepan.
> Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
> Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat.
> Place butter in large mixing bowl.
> Add hot sugar mixture and stir until butter melts.
> Blend in eggs.
> Stir 2 cups flour and the baking soda together.
> Gradually mix into the butter mixture.
> Mix in enough additional flour to make dough stiff.
> Shape dough into ball.
> Refrigerate in covered container several hours.
> Cut dough into quarters.
> Roll out and cut into shapes, as desired.
> Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
> Bake in preheated 350 deg Fahrenheit oven, 10–12 min.
> Cool on wire racks.

Thanks for the recipe. Both of your efforts look wonderful - a successful baking day! Don't you just love it when that happens.
ReplyDeleteyummmmm
ReplyDeleteOh my! Makes the bag of animal cookies at my house look really, really sad!
ReplyDeleteYou are my Martha Stewart Hero!