Sunday, August 24, 2008

summer's bounty

Two of my favorite summer things are home grown tomatoes and fresh basil. I have a lone little basil plant on the west side of the house... but she's in her prime now and producing some of the most rich and aromatic leaves of the summer. I use basil in almost everything at this time of year... from pasta to eggs and everything in between. Next year I definitely plan to expand the herb garden... perhaps to include lemon basil, rosemary, thyme, flat leaf parsley and oregano.
.
Jenn's mom has produced another delicious bumper crop of tomatoes this year. She was kind enough to share some with us yesterday. There is absolutely no comparison between a grocery store tomato and a home grown tomato... not in color, texture or flavor.
.
Sooooooo... last night we made Margarita Pizza for dinner. Very simple and very very yummy.
.

Margherita Pizza
.
tomato
mozarella
basil
pizza sauce
pizza dough/or crust
olive oil
.
I took short-cuts with the crust and sauce as I did not start these from scratch, but instead used prepared versions from the grocery store. Start with a quick brush of olive oil over the crust, then slice thinly the mozarella and tomatoes. Spread the shell with sauce, and top with the fresh ingredients. Bake according to the directions on the package of the crust or according to the directions for dough. The photo below was taken prior to baking...
.

Lastly... just in case you're wondering what Snickie is doing in the late afternoon sun... the lovely lady of leisure is below...

2 comments: