Saturday, August 2, 2008

recreation

Recreation… not in the ‘get out there and do something’ sense… but re-CREATION. Today has been a day of re-creation.

It started with a restful night of twelve hours sleep. I can’t remember the last time I slept for twelve hours… but I must have needed it. The typical 0515 wake-up call came from Snickie. I lay in bed and contemplated an early start to the day, but fell back to sleep… and woke up again five hours later.

Today was a day of just puttering around… paying bills, reading the newspaper, going through a stack of periodicals that I just can’t seem to keep up with, a bit of laundry, etc., etc., etc. I’m feeling much more on top of the little things that were slipping away from me. A very good thing.

Last night, I had dinner with a friend that I hadn’t seen in quite awhile. We caught up on the time that had passed, as well as the life and times of several mutual colleagues and friends. Then came the part of the conversation that had me choking on my coconut shrimp. If June were still amongst us, I would have called her on my way home…

It seems that USA Today has coined one of our former colleagues the ‘High Priestess of Dance Dance Revolution’ (DDR). Go figure. The PI (principal investigator) of the PEP study (see 12/14/07 post, ‘a blast from the past’) is now extolling the virtues of DDR among post-menopausal women, and has shown significant improvements in health and fitness among the initial cohort she studied. She herself has danced away 50 pounds, and recently presented her findings at an annual meeting of the American Geriatrics Society.

Me? For now, I think I’ll just take a walk or ride my bike… but come the dead of winter… well, you just never know...

2 comments:

  1. DDR--What a hoot! Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I love to dance and have been known to turn up the music (Soundstage on TV, CD's, whatever) and get up off the couch. The recent Tom Petty concert was also a workout in disquise (: and LOTS of fun!!

    ReplyDelete