Tuesday, August 12, 2008

bees

Last evening, I finished reading a great book... The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It was actually on the New York Times best seller list in 2002 and is supposed to be released as a film in October starring Dakota Fanning, Hilarie Burton, Alicia Keys,Tristan Wilds, Sophie Okonedo, Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah.

Kidd's style of writing and character development is careful and gives zealous attention to life-giving detail. While I was reading, I found myself thinking how much I'd like to sit on the porch sipping a cool glass of lemonade with these women. I'm actually planning to stop by the library on my way home this evening to pick up another book by Kidd... The Mermaid Chair.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I'd have to say that right now I'm not too fond of bees...

    The book was good though.

    I just finished one of those books you start, get interested in the plot and then realize that the book suscks but you want to find out what happens. I can't even remember the name.

    (and I'm still itchy and a little less swollen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the book Shelly gave me and recommended for the Team June gals, Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish. So far, so good, I see why it reminded Shelly of June and her friends. Problem is now the Olympics are on in the evening and I want to watch them too, so not so much reading getting done right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read both, I think I like the Mermaid Chair better. Right now I am trying to get through The Shack I don't know if I am in the right place for it or not.

    ReplyDelete