Ed and I got up early this morning... we scrambled around the house for a bit taking in the mandatory cuppa and a quick breakfast, and then loaded up the bikes. We headed off to 9:00 Mass... and then after a quick change, we were on the bikes by 10:30... making the first of four circuits around the downdown airport.
.
All in all, we did about 15 miles, loaded the bikes back up and were on the road home by 11:40. Our hearts were heavy, though. As you might imagine... I (beinging my ocd self) keep a fairly extensive bike log of dates, distances ridden, locations of rides, and riding partners. I enjoy periodically flipping through my little book, and remembering a ride and all that went with it.
.
Last Labor Day weekend, Ed and I rode at the airport with June... we completed seven laps that day (about 26 miles). In 2006 on Labor Day weekend, I went for two rides with June... one of which was that very HOT ride with June, Jenn, and Ed - from Parkville to Leavenworth for breakfast... (remember how famished we were, Jenn?). Today... I rode her bicycle and wore one of her jerseys... and could not get her out of my mind.
.
Hence, the image with this post. Empty shoes... to honor June. After our feet clicked into the pedals this morning, we spent the next hour without our feet touching the ground... during which time, I spent an hour with June and the words below became imprinted in my mind...
Sunday, August 31, 2008
empty shoes
An hour spent with my feet off the ground
Was an hour spent with you.
My feet were on your pedals...
But most definitely not in your shoes.
.
We miss you... but you are with us always, June...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lovely post, Donna. John and I think about June everyday. Sometimes it's the big things and sometimes it's the little things.
ReplyDeleteI saw a small kitty toy scoot about 3 inches across the floor the other day. For no apparent reason. Hmmm.
Has anyone else been noticing odd things?
John and I did not make it to KC. We've been taking care of business here and resting.
This evening we'll be going to see my family for supper and homemade ice cream!
I think about her quite often also. Odd things?? Well, I have been having non-stop computer problems since Friday. Have had technicians out to my house twice and perhaps (?), the wireless connection is now working properly. The wired ethernet connection still is not working. Another friend is going to check out the possibility that the ethernet card inside the computer has gone haywire. Remember how she "blew out" TVs?? I'm begging her to leave my computer alone - she can let me know she is around in OTHER ways!! (:
ReplyDeleteThe Plaza Art fair is a couple of weekends away. She and Shelly and I went last year and that is when she bought the photo of the cemetary in Ireland.