Saturday, September 27, 2008

life by the numbers

January 1, 2007 - I set a goal of getting my retirement accounts and other personal business in order during the calendar year.
.
January 1, 2008 - Same goal... twentyone months later, I'm well on my way.
.
.
Getting funds rolled over from one company to another was not a task at which to sneeze (see 8/5 post)... but I received word this week that the rollovers and paperwork are finally complete. Interestingly, as luck would have it... the day the transfers posted, was one of the market low days... which my financial advisor said is a very good thing for my accounts.
.
Also on the resolution agenda was bringing my personal medical care up-to-date. You know... those appointments we all *know* that we need to make, but procrastinate the actual picking up of the phone to do so. Well... mine are now on the calendar. It seems that this year, I will be able to say that I have actually accomplished my resolutions!
.
Which brings us to this morning... Ed and I talk a lot about saving, and spending, and credit, and work-life balance, and retirement... yes, retirement... and hope that we are able to squirrel away the resources to be able to enjoy a long and healthy retirement. As we awoke this morning... I said to him... just 15 more years! (God willing!) With due dilligence, it will be possible.
.
How are you doing on your 2008 resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't make any resolutions but I am still working on my list of 101 things.

    I've included things like a living will. Not fun. Not glamorous. But necessary.

    I'll be sure to re-read my list and make sure there are some smart financial items included.

    The "R" word. Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I didn't plan on was the Tax liability from my 401 (k), IRAs and MG's 403(b). All of these were saved prior to being taxed and now will bite me in the tax butt when I take them out. I sure wish there had been KEOH accounts when I was putting the last part in. With your retirements as well as your spouses being added together, you need to be aware of the tax implications. We have four different sources of retirement pay and it gets stupid when I try to figure out what is and is not txible. Good luck. MUD

    ReplyDelete