Wednesday, September 24, 2008

national punctuation day

Forever will I celebrate! Soooo if you're reading MY blog... you must be a little quirky... and we've already established that I am a just bit to the left of center...

As I was the newspaper this morning, I see that today - September 24th - is the fifth annual National Puncutation Day (“A celebration of the lowly comma, correctly used quotes, and other proper uses of periods, semicolons, and the ever-mysterious ellipsis.”). I love this day. Call me crazy... but I've always enjoyed grammar, usage, punctuation and spelling.

Yes... I was one of those outlying students who thoroughly enjoyed diagramming sentences. (Excuse me, Ma'am, but your participle appears to be dangling.) This is a day for librarians, educators, and parents — and also a day to remind business people that they are often judged by how they present themselves in written communication. For more info, check out the NPD website. Solidarity!

Conjunction junction, what's your function?

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard about the book where the panda eats, shoots, and leaves?

    A bit of difference in meaning to the panda eats shoots and leaves!

    It also reminds me about a simple reading mistake a student made one time.

    "They ran over to the sultan's tent." was misread as "They ran over the sultan's tent."

    Sometimes the little things matter! A lot!

    ReplyDelete