Saturday, March 29, 2008

25,147 steps

25,147 steps
13.1 miles
21.3 km
.
I've always said...I'm not fast, but I'll cover the distance! This morning, Ed and I did just that, as we completed our first half marathon. We set out in the frigid morning temperatures without any intention of running, ergo, we covered the entire distance walking. But - we covered it.
.
The morning started with the alarm sounding at about 5:20 am. We were up, out the door (coffee in hand), and on the road by 6:00 for the drive south for the Olathe (Half) Marathon. We loaded a school bus at the finish for a quick jaunt to the start which was set for 7:30.
.
This one was for June...in the fight of her life. It was June, about twelve years ago, who dragged me out with her to experience my first endurance events. I didn't even have a bike at the time, so she loaned me one of hers...and off we went - dabbling in some short distance triathlons. Thanks for getting me out there, June... this one was for you!
.
.
The course was very manageable, ranging from flat to gently rolling hills, but the wind was brutal! Although we were headed east for the first several miles, it was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit at the start, with a stiff wind directly into our faces. We both did a fairly good job of dressing for the weather, however, as our bodies were warm throughout the event, albeit our faces a bit wind burned.
.
About five miles into our walk, the first full marathoner passed us - it was mile 18 for him. He looked strong and was probably three minutes ahead of the next runner. Ed and I both remarked at the wonderful feeling he must have had as the pace motorcycle carved the way uphill for him. Long after we were passed by the lead runners, and approximately three and a half hours after we started, we crossed the finish. Below is a photo that was taken at the end.
..
All in all, it was a great adventure...and one that we'll certainly attempt again in the future. We weren't fast...but we covered the distance. Thanks for urging us off the couch, June! Now, please pardon me as I go put my feet up and invite Snickie to come sit in my lap! : )

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with...the distance or the weather you put up with!

    June talked me into entering a few road races. I actually completed an 8K! Sucking wind at the end, but I finished!

    Here's to June! And Donna! And Ed!

    ReplyDelete