.
It seems that these days, more often than not, I’m just hanging on by my fingertips… trying to keep up with the day to day things going on around me, yet making small steps forward in the larger and more complex scheme of life.
.
My days go something like this: the alarm goes off; I shower, primp, grab a cuppa and eat a bowl of oatmeal while making a quick spin through the newspaper, and I’m out the door and off to the races; at work I spend my day putting out fires (other people's, mostly) …of course the ones closest to my feet get my attention first, and then I stress out about not being able to give my own projects the deserved time and attention; I come home, have dinner with Ed, put my feet up for awhile, enjoy a warm cat curled up on my shoulder, and then head off to bed so that I can start all over again tomorrow. I am sooooo looking forward to our upcoming vacation! There is not enough said about the three Rs... (In my case: rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation... sorry to leave out the 'rithmetic, Kathy!)
.
As I get wrapped up in the frenzied pace of my own microcosm, there are a few things that are really making me stop and take pause… herein lies this study in contrast… on either end of the spectrum of life.
.
On one end… my heart is heavy as a very dear friend is in the midst of the fight of her life. It’s hard to speak the harsh and very real truth, but my good friend is dying. I will continue to give science, research, and literature the weighted respect deserved, but truth be told... the time is now to hope for a miracle. Not a day passes that this is not heavy on my mind and on my heart. A Wednesday afternoon does not go by that I don’t think about our conversations in lighter days, when she would visit my office after teaching her class. And… not a day passes that I don’t think of her as I drive over the top of that burner-of-a-hill that we would struggle up on our bicycles (with gritted teeth!)... I smile when I think of her cresting it on her HOT PINK Rockhopper! Please keep her... and her family and friends... in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time... and hope with us for a miracle.
.
On the other end, it seems that our resident finches have are raising a fine little family (see the 4/17 post). Over the last three weeks or so, we’ve really enjoyed watching them build their nest, and so purposefully come and go. “Sunny and Rhett“ now have peeps! On two occasions when our curiosity could not be contained, we’ve held a mirror above the nest to see what they’ve been up to. The first time, we saw five teeny little eggs; the second time – this past weekend – we saw little ooey gooey bodies, completely reliant on their mama. Rhett... with a very dapper muted red chest... doesn’t stay in the nest with his family, but he is a frequent visitor. We walk on tiptoe when we are near the front door so as not to disturb them and eagerly watch for daily changes in their patterns as this little finch family grows.
.
What are the contrasts in your life?
.
My days go something like this: the alarm goes off; I shower, primp, grab a cuppa and eat a bowl of oatmeal while making a quick spin through the newspaper, and I’m out the door and off to the races; at work I spend my day putting out fires (other people's, mostly) …of course the ones closest to my feet get my attention first, and then I stress out about not being able to give my own projects the deserved time and attention; I come home, have dinner with Ed, put my feet up for awhile, enjoy a warm cat curled up on my shoulder, and then head off to bed so that I can start all over again tomorrow. I am sooooo looking forward to our upcoming vacation! There is not enough said about the three Rs... (In my case: rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation... sorry to leave out the 'rithmetic, Kathy!)
.
As I get wrapped up in the frenzied pace of my own microcosm, there are a few things that are really making me stop and take pause… herein lies this study in contrast… on either end of the spectrum of life.
.
On one end… my heart is heavy as a very dear friend is in the midst of the fight of her life. It’s hard to speak the harsh and very real truth, but my good friend is dying. I will continue to give science, research, and literature the weighted respect deserved, but truth be told... the time is now to hope for a miracle. Not a day passes that this is not heavy on my mind and on my heart. A Wednesday afternoon does not go by that I don’t think about our conversations in lighter days, when she would visit my office after teaching her class. And… not a day passes that I don’t think of her as I drive over the top of that burner-of-a-hill that we would struggle up on our bicycles (with gritted teeth!)... I smile when I think of her cresting it on her HOT PINK Rockhopper! Please keep her... and her family and friends... in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time... and hope with us for a miracle.
.
On the other end, it seems that our resident finches have are raising a fine little family (see the 4/17 post). Over the last three weeks or so, we’ve really enjoyed watching them build their nest, and so purposefully come and go. “Sunny and Rhett“ now have peeps! On two occasions when our curiosity could not be contained, we’ve held a mirror above the nest to see what they’ve been up to. The first time, we saw five teeny little eggs; the second time – this past weekend – we saw little ooey gooey bodies, completely reliant on their mama. Rhett... with a very dapper muted red chest... doesn’t stay in the nest with his family, but he is a frequent visitor. We walk on tiptoe when we are near the front door so as not to disturb them and eagerly watch for daily changes in their patterns as this little finch family grows.
.
What are the contrasts in your life?


My current professor quoted an educational guru (whose name escapes me this early in the morning) that the three Rs are no longer Reading, Riting, and Rithmetic...they are Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships.
ReplyDeleteStudents need to be challenged, see how learning is connected to life, and have a meaningful relationship with adults around them.
A quick moment of fun last night...our professor needed to drive to Wichita so we were released from class one hour early. WooHoo! I was talking to my friend on the way home. She was telling me about Bud Light with Lime and how wonderful it tastes. I exited off the highway and made an impromptu stop at the liquor store. When I got home I was able to enjoy a bottle with some chips and salsa. And I called my friend back to say, "Oh yeah, that's good!"
That small moment of fun was my contrast for the day...contrasting with the other aspects of my life right now...homework, laundry, work, meds, appointments, etc.
Bud Light with Lime--much better than Miller Chill which, in my opinion, tastes a little bit like vomit.
Sorry to all of you sensitive stomach types. :)
Rigor, relevance, and relationships... I think this is very germane given we have moved into the information age and relationships we create in the web of complexity are what define us and create opportunity for us. Thanks for sharing, Kathy. See you Saturday!
ReplyDelete