Saturday, September 8, 2007

in humble gratitude...

This is a photograph of the USS Randall, a now long-retired amphibious assault ship in the service of the US Navy…the ship that my dad served on during WWII. For the next several days a small group of remarkable men that served on this ship are convening for an annual reunion in Reno, Nevada...along with their spouses, and assorted children, grandchildren, etc. I had the pleasure of joining them in Washington, DC two years ago…and geewillikers, did I ever learn a thing or two!?

Each year the core of the group diminishes in number…because of failing health and the inevitable march of time. I’m so very grateful that my parents are able to be a vibrant part of this group…dad as the ship’s treasurer (and court jester!) and mom as the ship’s historian. Both have been very active in the planning and realization of these reunions for the past decade or so.

In all seriousness, I offer my humble gratitude to these Veterans and supporting families. We would not be where we are today without their many sacrifices both away and at home. We’ve learned much from them, yet know that there are many stories that will never be shared.

Tom Brokaw refers to these incredible men and women as “The Greatest Generation”…once the war ended, Brokaw says, the accomplishments of this generation had only begun:

"They came home to joyous and short-lived celebrations and immediately began the task of rebuilding their lives and the world they wanted. They married in record numbers and gave birth to another distinctive generation, the Baby Boomers. A grateful nation made it possible for more of them to attend college than any society had ever educated, anywhere. They gave the world new science, literature, art, industry, and economic strength unparalleled in the long curve of history.”
For all of this…I am humbly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment