Friday, May 2, 2008

may day, indeed.

The springtime fury of a Midwest storm is nothing to take lightly. As I was running a few errands after work yesterday, the sky was thickening and I thought to myself as I was a few blocks from home... "those little hooks dropping from the clouds are just not a very good thing..." Not a drop of rain had yet fallen, but about five minutes later, the storm sirens were wailing. Yes, Toto, we're still in Kansas...now pleeease stop barking and be a good little dog.
.
The sirens wailed...and wailed...and wailed. For the next hour or so, the sirens blared...stopping/starting no less than five times. Then the rains came. I quickly gathered up my car keys, cell phone, wallet, shoes, Snickie (and her carrier) and headed to the basement. Springtime in Kansas... Charming. Very charming.
.
Two significant rounds of storms came through during the evening hours, bringing wind and rain...and then finally... quiet. A third round blew through at about 0130. Not generally a light sleeper, one enormous atmospheric shift in pressure and a burst of air that rattled every window in the house roused us awake as we (well, not actually me) scrambled to close the bedroom windows. Although the rains sounded absolutely torrential, this time - no sirens. A very good thing...I just didn't have it in me to go back to the basement at 0130 in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, a wild weather night indeed. We had sirens out here in Blue Springs as well about 9:00pm. I don't have a basement, but moved things out of the downstairs innermost hall closet - just in case I needed to dive in there. I did sit straight up in bed when the one at 1:00am moved through. I SWEAR I heard a rumbling that was definitely not thunder. It sounded much like a tornado in the clouds that passed over our house when I was in grade school in Valley Center, KS. You don't forget that sound - like a freight train. Speaking of, did you see the news footage of the train that was blown off the tracks? Now that's some heavy duty wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it amazing how a night like last night takes you back years in nothing flat!? i didn't hear that about the train...where did it happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't remember the exact location - somewhere here in the metro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I diden't know you have sirens to warn against storm.

    I guess storms here in Scandinavia is nothing compared to this.

    ReplyDelete