Saturday, January 26, 2008

vocab 101

C'est la vie.
It is what it is.
Nolens volens.
.
I just love words, grammar, and vocabulary!!! I love the way certain words sound…the way they rrrrrooollll over my tongue…the rhythm (or lack of) that they may have. This is just one of my many personal quirks that make me…ME! [Shhhhhh…I even subscribe to the dictionary.com word-of-the-day…don’t tell anyone.] NUTTY...I know. But I just love WORDS! Although I don't know to whom to attribute these words...one of my favorite quotes about words is: Never use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice." True...maybe. But don't miss out on the fun!

On Wednesday of this week from dictionary.com, I received the word nolens volens. Latin, as you might guess…it means “whether willing or not; willy-nilly.” Subconsciously…I’ve been rolling this around in my head since then, and have come up with a bit of Saturday fun for you…somewhat reminiscent of the NPR ‘Sunday Puzzle’ by puzzle master Will Shortz. Woo whoooo you say!
.
See how you do today…I’ll publish the solutions tomorrow...

Each solution to the clues below is a two word phrase with two syllables in each word:
  1. Children’s dance: 'you put your right arm in…'
  2. Beloved children's book
  3. One of several characters in said book
  4. He kissed the girls and made them cry
  5. Brand of candy with a joke on the wrapper
  6. Hand-held, portable, two-way radio
  7. Grade-B horror flick
  8. Short and plumply round
  9. Favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry
  10. Weak or indecisive
  11. Disorderly; haphazard
  12. A condition of extreme nervousness caused by fear
  13. Unethical behavior; deceit
  14. Counterfeit currency
  15. President who was impeached
  16. Long time radio announcer for the cubs
  17. Retired Big-8 basketball coach with a volatile temper
  18. Pet name for a sweetheart
  19. Slogan used by hippies
  20. Ciao! Bye! Ta ta! See ya...

And for extra credit…

The solution to this clue is four rhyming two-syllable words: Stages of group development per Tuckman (1965)

.

Have fun!

9 comments:

  1. I don't think you are quite right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. solve the puzzle already, will ya?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Hokey pokey
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. Jack somebody
    5. ?
    6. Walkie Talkie
    7. ?
    8. Rollie Pollie
    9. Chunky Monkey (But I prefer New York Super Fudge Chunk...Just so ya know)
    10. Wishy Washy
    11. ?
    12. ?
    13. ?
    14. ?
    15. Tricky Dicky?
    16. Harry Carey
    17. ?
    18. ?
    19. ?
    20. Hasta La Vista?

    Not so easy

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Hokey Pokey
    2. Humpty Dumpty? Henny Penny?
    3. Humpty Dumpty? Henny Penny?
    4. Georgie Porgie
    5. Laffy Taffy
    6. Walkie Talkie
    7. Creature Feature
    8. Roly Poly
    9. Chunky Monkey
    10. ?
    11. Helter Skelter
    12. Heebie Jeebies
    13. ?
    14. Funny Money
    15. Silly Willy (that's all I got)
    16. Harry Carey
    17. ?
    18. Honey Bunny
    19. Flower Power (thanks John!)
    20. Later Gator

    ReplyDelete
  5. The extra credit...

    forming, storming, norming, and performing

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...impressive, Kathy! You are the winner...I'll buy you a cocktail next time you're in town...and for the extra credit, I might even buy John one, too! Ha! I'll publish the intended answers in another pop-up box, so that you can compare them to the list...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the winner is... KATHY!

    The intended solutions:

    1. hokie pokie
    2. henny penny
    3. foxy loxy, ducky lucky, goosey loosey, etc.
    4. georgie porgie
    5. laffy taffy
    6. walkie talkie
    7. creature feature
    8. roly poly
    9. chunky monkey
    10. namby pamby
    11. helter skelter
    12. heebie jeebies
    13. hanky panky
    14. funny money
    15. trickie dickie
    16. harry caray
    17. stormin' norman
    18. hunny bunny
    19. flower power
    20. later 'gater

    EC: forming, storming, norming, performing

    Thanks for playing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! That was fun! More games, please.

    The hangman game is a good time, too Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, so I'm like WAY behind, just reading this for the first time on Tuesday. I realize Kathy is already the winner, but I just want it known that I DID know the answer to #15, and shouted "Tricky Dick" out loud in my office. Kind of made my coworkers who were in the main office at the time wonder who/what/why I was doing in my office, but hey, I've given my resignation so, what the heck..............

    ReplyDelete