When it comes to exercise, I must admit that I have always been more of a weekend warrior than a daily exerciser. Not that I'm averse to it or anything... I'm happy to take on a good physical challenge. BUT... now that I'm 40-something (and have been for awhile)... I'm trying to change my ways in an attempt to stay a step ahead of gravity and other unsavory forces of nature.
We've had an erg (rowing machine) in the basement for quite awhile and I took on the 200,000 meter C2 holiday challenge again this year. At Jenn's suggestion (chastisement), I thought I'd try to stick with it after the holidays had passed. Somewhere along the way, however, I became bored with everyday erging.
I've contemplated on and off over the past five years or so about getting a set of inertial rollers. Think of the contraption as a treadmill for a bicycle. I talked with my bike guy about it, and he just happened to have a used set for sale. Sooooo... I made the purchase, and have since been alternating mornings of erging and riding.
The learning curve was not as steep as I thought it would be... I've really enjoyed it so far... and talk about working up a sweat! Next time you're in the neighborhood, I'll take you to the basement so that you, too, can give it a spin. It's really nifty!
Oh... and as a cycling side note... the Tour of Missouri route was announced today. The tour will depart St. Louis on Monday 9/7 and arrive in Kansas City on Sunday, 9/13. This is the third year for this professional cycling stage race, and its always a lot of fun to be a part of the excitement. Put it on your calendar!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
the basement contraption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment