Sunday, January 11, 2009

my feeble mind

So it seems that every time I set out to make this sauce, I call Jenn to confirm the list of ingredients. Soooooo... here it is on The Ronneblog so that I've always got the *recipe* handy and can maybe do this by myself just once!

First of all... let me just say... delicious. I'm doing the double version today so that I've got marinara to use for whatever I might decide to cook this week. Should you set out to make this, I'll warn you ahead of time that the recipe is fairly loose...

The foundation (for the double recipe):

1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 28-oz. can tomato puree
1 16-oz. can tomato paste

Then... as much as you feel necessary of:

garlic, minced
onion, chopped
basil, thyme, oregano
salt, pepper

Other add-ins, as desired:

bell pepper
mushrooms
olives
...or anything else...

Cook all day. Truly... more is better, in this case. The batch that I put together today was started before noon. I generally start it out on high in the crock pot, and then back it off when the sauce is bubbling. If necessary to add liquid toward the end of the cooking time, add a bit of red wine. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you saved a bit of the wine to drink with dinner. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete