Monday, July 21, 2008

dads

The month of June was a bit hectic... and it seems that I missed the Father's Day post that I was carrying around in my head. This is the companion post to my Mother's Day post... (see May 11).

The photo with this post was taken a few years ago in our kitchen. Ed's dad is on the left, my dad is on the right. Both of our dads are known for... well... shall I say, their advice... most of which is very salient, and has delivered us safely to this point in life.

Some silly, some about safety... read on for a few of pearls of advice received from our dads throughout the years...

> Change the oil in the car every 3000 miles.

> Never over-drive your headlights.

> Be careful when driving on wet leaves... they are more slippery than you think!

> You've got to drive the other man's car!

> Always look over your shoulder.

> Know where at least two exits from any building are.

> At the table or on the kitchen counter, always return the milk jug to the same spot from which you picked it up... it will benefit from the chill already transferred to the spot.

> Work hard, enjoy your family, go to church every Sunday, and be thankful for everything you have.

What is some of the advice received from your dad?

5 comments:

  1. What does "Never overdrive your headlights mean?"

    I'm all about knowing where the exits are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should never drive faster than you can see or react to what is within the range of your headlights...my dad would be so proud that this advice is being passed on.

    And ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack Burton has a line in the movie Big Trouble in Little China..."I never drive faster than I can see."

    Oh yeah, I can get on board with that advice!

    And I always wear my seatbelt. Have since 1986 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna, sounds like some good advice.
    My dad always said "Get it in writing"
    "Always give a firm handshake" (especially to us girls)
    "Don't assume, always ask". That advice helped me land my first professional job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! How are you?!?! Great advice from your dad... I got some of the same, as well. It's that good midwestern upbringing.

    WELCOME to my blogosphere!!!

    ReplyDelete