Sunday, August 12, 2007

sunday seven

seven random sunday musings...

1. This morning, I participated in the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure"...
this post is in honor of my good friend Gayle and Jenn's mom, Carol. My registration number was 14933...Gayle (a survivor) was number 2153...which means there were at least 2153 breast cancer survivors participating in the event. I saw a registration number in the 23000 range, as well...absolutely amazing.

2. I am blessed with some very close female friends who are remarkably strong of mind, body, and spirit. This morning... Gayle exhibited all of this...and what a trooper!!! In the early morning darkness of her closet, she left home with two right shoes...and INSISTED on doing the walk despite my repeated registration of protest for the well-being of her feet and hips!

3. Having participated in said event...I continue to marvel at the remarkable array of shapes and sizes that a human body can be. Uffdah...the physics of it all!

4. Grocery shopping for the week and for dinner this evening was part of my afternoon agenda. Most of my limited readership probably know that I am not much of a carnivore. As Ed is returning this evening from his UTA weekend in Omaha, I decided that I would make Guinness-braised short ribs for dinner (a recipe from the March Foodies group). I couldn't find bone-in ribs...so the guy at the meat counter suggested 'cooking by cat'...i.e. having the cat settle into a kitchen corner for a nap...and when she wakes up, stretches, and yawns ~ taking the ribs out to check for done-ness. The jury is still out as to whether I will actually follow this suggestion...

5. On my grocery list was a gallon of milk. Imagine my shock to find that milk is now over four dollars per gallon...and not even whole milk! Can someone say..."Stop the madness!!!"

6. Today is just another day in the great midwest oven...
with temps hovering around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, bright sun, and oppressive humidity. The weather map in the morning paper shows the heat breaking [if we're lucky] on Thursday. Jenn...it's not fall yet...but I love the colorful mood-setting flora!

7. Back to the theme of the beginning of today's post...
re the annual check-up, et cetera, that I have been procrastinating scheduling...this is the week. I will make the call this week...and if this is a call that any of you, gentle readers, have been putting off as well...I urge you to make the call this week, too.

2 comments:

  1. Can I have dinner at your house? Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the check up reminder...you'd think health care workers were really good about this, and nothing is further from the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAKE THE CALL!!!!
    (and thanks for walking...it's important)

    ReplyDelete