re thing #76: attend a KU Jayhawks game in Allen Fieldhouse... and a few other random musings...
.
Ed and I were the beneficiaries of a *piano perk* this past Sunday evening. One of my piano moms has season tickets to the 'hawks games and could not attend the KU-UMKC game on Sunday evening. This is going to be a tough re-building year short on the pomp and glory of last year... so this is a shout-out (thank you Sarah Palin) to all you Jayhawks fans out there - hunker down and be patient... this is a very young team.
.
KU trailed for the ENTIRE first half, and went up for two to tie it just seconds before heading to the locker rooms for the break. In the end, the Jayhawks won by 15, but the first half was a nail-biter! I just LOVE the atmosphere and TRADITION of Allen Fieldhouse. The traverse on James Naismith Drive (yes... the James Naismith... as in the inventor of the game of basketball) is always humbling.
.
As for the other *random musings* previously mentioned...
.
> I finished a book over the weekend... The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. This was a recommendation from a friend, and in retrospect... not a pairing that I would have naturally made. Definitely food for thought...
.
> Did anyone else notice the white stuff falling from the sky on Saturday morning? Doesn't it seem awfully early for this? What are the predictions for winter in this part of the country?
.
> Wouldn't it be great if we could savor the moment and experience one holiday at a time? I noticed Christmas things in the store well before Halloween this year... and since the beginning of the month, a local radio station has been spinning Christmas tunes. Two weeks before Thanksgiving... there are several homes in our area that have already installed what I not-so-fondly refer to as Christmas Lawn Kitsch and turned on the house lights. Stop the madness!
.
> Lastly... this was to be a year for order... as in... getting my life in order. I haven't done too badly to date. We've reviewed our finances and retirement accounts (a disaster, btw, given the recent economic goings on)... and I'm soon to complete my round of all things medical (i.e. dental appointment, annual physical, etc.). Are you on top of your game?
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
thing #76
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I don't think I want to go to all the home games but once or twice a year it is great to go to Allen Field House and watch the event unfold. Coach Self said that he doesn't care what the score is at first so long as they learn to play defense his way. With Cole on the bench the first half it was pretty easy to see the Hawks just don't have a team the quality of last year's. But they populated the NBA with players. Give them a year ot two and they will be right back at the top. They might make the Big 12 a close race this year too. MUD
ReplyDeleteI've heard we're supposed to brace ourselves for 3 major ice storms this year. I hope that's a false rumor! We have the generator and battery sump pump from last year so we're good to go if needed. My uncle came this fall and rewired a few things so plugging the generator in will be safe and easy.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking more and more about retirement. I wonder if the big b-day this summer has anything to do with it?
Got to work more on the retirement and such but had my physical today and dentist in 2 weeks, I am trying, by the way got the magic quit smoking pill thought I would give it a shot I'll let you know how it goes.
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna brag for just a minute before I confess the not so in order stuff. I do the annual doctor stuff, yearly eye exam, and 3X a year dentist visits stuff pretty religiously. Just do. As for the financial stuff - well, not so much. I had an advance directive when I was married and ex is still my DPOA. Probably should change it, but he would do what I wanted if something unexpected happened. As for retirement, well, unless I could save 100% of my paycheck right now for the next 20 years, I'm pretty much screwed. Hoping communes are back in style by then as it is gonna "take a village."
ReplyDelete