Thursday, November 1, 2007

what ever happened to thanksgiving?

Sooo…. I haven’t yet fully accepted the reality that the average trick-or-treater at our door last night was a late middle school aged, NON-costumed, pillow case carrying adolescent... traveling in a pack of 8 or 10 like-minded individuals who just stood expectantly on the doorstep with half-full goody bags thrust forward and nary an utterance of ‘Trick of Treat’ (...and in many cases even less of an utterance of 'thank you'). How scary is that!? Still reeling from the wont for the cute little costumed tots of years gone by, we were ever so rudely awakened at 5:01 this morning by a clock radio blaring a rousing chorus of “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.” Has the world we live in gone absolutely MAD?!? What ever happened to Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year…enjoying the beauty and bounty of the earth…and embarking upon a season of gatherings with family and friends as we slide into the frigid and dark throes of winter. For each of you reading this, please know that I am truly thankful for you. I feel so very fortunate to have family and friends that support and inspire me…and whom I admire so much. In this season of remembrance and thanks, I am humbly grateful…

6 comments:

  1. I think we're very grateful for you too...that is...if you are IN FACT talking about us! We love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just left a bowl of candy on the doorstep that read, dont be greedy, take one, I am watching you. I really missed handing out candy, but my trick or treater children wanted to go. I know that I dont see you often, well hardly ever, well once a year is more like it. I am greatful for you as well. I love thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am thankful for you, my friend...even if you harass me about commenting.
    I will now be counting words and make everyone gets the same number...(smile)
    PS-last night was great fun. your hubby is pretty great, thanks for including me in the celebration (PS's are not factored in total word count)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking you must be talking about radio station 102.whatever it is. I, too, turned this on that morning and was flabbergasted to hear Christmas music. I think this is the earliest they have ever started this nonsense. Listeners will be so done with this by the time the Christmas season actually starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nonsense is right, cindy! maybe a listener boycott ought be staged?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already have - not listening anymore. Have CD's, will travel...

    ReplyDelete