Sunday, November 25, 2007

if...

If pigs could fly...my KU Jayhawks would be sitting at the tail end of an undefeated regular season today. But...pigs can't, and my Jayhawks aren't. In all seriousness, I'm not sure that anyone saw the season that we've enjoyed anywhere on the radar. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my 'Hawks would be 11 and 1 at the end of regular season play...its been well over a hundred years since we've had this kind of a record. I remember a time in KU football history when it was of epic accomplishment just to make it to the Fiesta Bowl...and this year, we'll most certainly get a respectable bid of some sort...
.
Truth be told, my Nebraska childhood prepared me well for last evening. Except for the heyday of the early seventies, I can remember many a childhood Thanksgiving with the hype built up for the big game...only to miss that last ditch Hail Mary or kick just a bit wide of the endpost. Oh...what a quiet ride home from Grandma and Grandpa's house!
.

It was a great season and a great ride...and the fall of 2007 will certainly go down in the record books as one of KU's best. Kansans pulled together in a way previously known only to basketball... which, by the way... is about to unfold in all its splendor. But...for the moment...our hats are off to the young men on the football field. THANKS guys...for a GREAT season.

.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk...
Go KU !!!

4 comments:

  1. of course...I wrote a beautiful, thoughtful comment and the Blogger gremlin sent it out into the great bolgger beyond.
    Well...basically it said...thanks for your perspective it got mine back on the right track.
    It's easy to be disapointed and move on to basketball and overlook the great accomplishment of our guys. I'll be watching their bowl game with pride...and I don't even understand football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn that gremlin! rowing is sooooo much easier to understand than football!!! we ARE going to a bowl, though...how great is that?! think of all those years with no post-season play! : ) gb

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a huge football fan after last nights game and then watching my Chiefs get defeated by the Raiders of all teams I am ready for some bball!!!

    ReplyDelete