Sunday, July 15, 2007

sunday seven *

* I’m generally too short on time to come up with a Thursday Thirteen…so I decided to substitute a Sunday Seven…it takes less time on a day when I have more of it!

> I love riding my bike…it is very freeing.

> Biking is a great sport because it is so accessible…to young or old, tall or short, thin or not-so-thin. All shapes, sizes, and ages can do it…and I hope to ride my bicycle into very old age.

> My rowing and riding buds have long called me ‘the red friend’ because I turn a very bright shade of red during prolonged physical activity. I always feel much much better than I look, but people often think I’m about ready to stroke out. I learned today that there is a very glam name for this…vasodilation.

> People say lots of things are ‘the best thing since sliced bread’…but I think the best thing since sliced bread is the granny gear. I swore it off until I hit forty…but I proudly use it now to get me up the big hills with legs to spare.

> Seventeen miles between stops is a very long distance on a 94 degree Fahrenheit day. Thank goodness for that small chocolate shake about 14 miles into that leg of the ride.

> Spandex has its virtues. It prevents chafing and holds old women together in lots of important places. Just in case you’re wondering, however, mosquitoes can (and do) bite through spandex.

> I totally admire my brother-in-law, who has competed and completed many long distance runs, rides, and a full length Ironman. I’ve heard Chad talk about ‘earning the t-shirt’…and today was one of those days for me. The ride was a metric century (62 miles) sponsored by the Lawrence Bicycle Club. Best part? It is an annual club ride called the “Lizard Under the Skillet” ride…and the tag line is “It was so hot, I watched a lizard crawl into the campfire just to get in the shade of the skillet.”

Ride on!!!

1 comment: