Monday, May 31, 2010

thing #20

re thing #20... attend a public Memorial Day service ...

When I was a little girl, I remember my father being involved in the local American Legion post, and my mother being an active member of the Auxiliary. Each Memorial Day, we'd head off to a couple of the local cemeteries where my dad served as a member of the Color Guard or firing squad.

Years have passed... but I still remember those experiences well. We have ever so much to be grateful for as we gently (and sometimes not-so-gently) stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us and those who have given their lives so that we may enjoy the things we do.

This morning, I made the short trek up to Leavenworth to the National Cemetery to take part in the Memorial Day service there. The primary speaker remarked that there are 33,000 graves in that cemetery. Think about it... 33,000 graves... and that is just one of many national cemeteries.

Below are a few photos taken this morning... a bit grainy, as I took them with my phone... but the sentiment is certainly the same. The first two were taken at the National Cemetery, the third was taken at the Buffalo Soldier Monument on Ft. Leavenworth.

In humble gratitude...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, Thank you for the photo's above. A little bit of a picture story of what you seen and experienced this morning. If you are not aware, the folding chair with the black cover (top photo) symbalizes those that are missing in action during wars. At our Legion meetings we place this cover during the brief opening ceremony. Love, Dad........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been at a few formal dinners with Ed and Chad... sometimes a table for four is set with a place for each branch of the military... and no one is seated at the table. Absolutely sobering.

    ReplyDelete