Wednesday, December 9, 2009

29 gifts

Serendipity? Perhaps. It all started with my mid-day trip to the break room to heat up my lunch. By chance, I picked up a magazine that someone had left behind and began to thumb through the pages. I took pause at an article by Cami Walker aptly titled: The Giving Cure.

The author set the tone by outlining her relatively recent new marriage and multiple sclerosis diagnosis within one month of *I do*. From the point of diagnosis, she soon left her job, stopped reaching out to friends, and began to sink into depression.

Cami writes that she then remembered a former neighbor who was originally from South Africa, had substantial interest in integrative medicine and referred to herself as a medicine woman. Mbali gave Cami the prescription: Give away 29 gifts in 29 days. “Healing doesn’t happen in a vacuum,” said Mbali, “but through our interactions with other people. By giving, you are focusing on what you have to offer others, inviting more abundance into your life.”

Now… all of this gets me to thinking about the many blessings in my life… and the many things which I have to share – both tangible and intangible. *Gift* is a very broad and all-encompassing word… and need not be something material. A *gift* can be as simple as a phone call, a smile, a prayer, a tissue, spare change, a kind word or thought, or a song.

Bottom line? Reading the article got me to thinking about moving through my days with more intentionality regarding what I have to offer others.

Serendipity? Day one is today… December 9, 2009. Day 29 will be January 6, 2010 – the Twelfth Day of Christmas. The Epiphany. Oh… the possibilities… just think about it!

1 comment: