Saturday, February 14, 2009

reconnecting

On the theme of reconnection... I made a trip to Minnesota earlier this week for my Aunt Lucille's funeral. Lucille is my mom's sister. It is ironically sad that at this point in life, it is often something such as a funeral that reconnects us to family. I say let's put the FUN back in funeral!
.
Fortunately, Lucille's illness was short... but she will be greatly missed. Below is a photo of me and Lucille's five (yes, FIVE!) sons... a few of whom I haven't seen in many many years. We had such great times as kids whenever my family would make the trek from Nebraska to Minnesota. I am just enough younger than them that they mostly found me a nuisance back then.
.
The "bonus" of this trip was being able to spend lots of "quality car time" with Jenn on the way up and back... through miles and miles of Iowa nothing-ness. Unfortunately, an intestinal bug got the best of her during our stay in Minneapolis with our friends Alison and Brett... and their adorable little daughter Saoirse (pronounced "sear-sha" - its an Irish name).
.
It was great to reconnect with Alison and Brett... whom I hadn't seen in person in about five years. BTW, lest I claim credit for a photo which I did not take... Al sent the photo above in an email this morning...

2 comments:

  1. "I say let's put the FUN back in funeral!"

    You are too funny! But I agree totally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to one recently for a man not much older than me that was as close to fun as you can get. Remind me to tell you at our next opinions unlimited gathering.

    ReplyDelete