Tuesday, October 16, 2007

a 'silver tsunami'

The nation's official "first" baby boomer, Kathleen Casey-Kirschling (born a second after midnight on 1/1/1946) applied for Social Security benefits yesterday as Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue looked on. The online application by the former teacher signaled the start of what Astrue calls a 'silver tsunami' that threatens the fabric of the Social Security system. A significant date, indeed...as the ripple effect of this segment moving through the health care system will be remarkable, as well.

I find it hard to grasp that I also (theoretically, at least) am considered a 'boomer'...as are most of the readership of this blog...all two of you! Albeit the tail end...most sources extend the boom through 1964. You can bet that I will not be relying on Social Security, alone, to carry me into my old age. Diversify, diversify, diversify! Save/Invest like there's no tomorrow...and make sure that you have a good health care plan! Contrary to the 'you-can't-take-it-with-you' philosophy...it is the sheer numbers that concern me...

1 comment:

  1. This was the very first article I read in the Star yesterday...amazing. It's a GOOD thing you have a Capricorn Moon-it's the save for a rainy day moon!

    ReplyDelete